Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Backstory (because this might interest someone?)

I wish my parents would have subjected me to music at an earlier age. I was the kid who bought his first cd at age 15 and without knowing about genres, bought into popular music... What a nightmare... Until that point, the only music I knew about was the music my family played while putting up the Christmas tree.
I've always been obsessed with starting a band. I remember telling a friend shortly after I started listening to "real" music that we might as well start one, because who better to write music than the people who listen to it. I think I also told him that the people in bands don't listen to music nearly as much as we did, so how can we fail... Man, I wish it were that easy. I started voice lessons Junior year of highschool, more because my parents made me than because I wanted to. I had no reason to practice my ass off until i found out my friend played guitar and another played bass... The following two years consisted of writing some of the worst songs ever. I continued to sing, I took chorus senior year, and the band started getting better. When it was time to go to college the band split. I went to a small school up in vermont, and the rest of the guys stayed in CT. I actually moved back after 1st semester so that the band could reunite... BAD IDEA. By the end of christmas break, we had chosen a new name, written some new songs, and even posted them on Myspace. The name was horrible, the songs were horrible, and our myspace page was... can you guess? We stopped practicing for a few months, I got enrolled in a new, nearby school, and we added a few more guys to the lineup; a drummer and a second singer/screamer. Over the summer, we created yet another bad band name, 4 or 5 more crappy songs, and once again a horribly designed Myspace. I've given up on these guys. This is the breaking point. I'm starting a new chapter of my story at my new school. I've already been throught 2 new bands and working on my third. This ones gonna go somewhere.

Listening To: Hidden in Plain View, "Twenty Below"

No comments: